Director of Real Estate Development - New York City
Posted on January 23rd, 2019
About The Position
Civic Builders is currently seeking an experienced real estate development professional to take a leadership role in sourcing and managing both turnkey and owner’s representative public charter school projects. The individual will engage with new clients and ensure that our high-quality, client-centric school buildings are built on-time and on-budget.
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial, experienced leader with deep expertise in real estate development in New York City to play an instrumental role in driving the development strategy of Civic Builders and creating new and inspiring learning environments for students.
The primary responsibilities of this role are (1) business development: building and maintaining a pipeline of prospective charter school partners, (2) deal making: finding, leasing and/or acquiring sites and matching them to a school partner, and (3) project management.
Candidates interested in this role should demonstrate the following competencies and have the ability to fulfill the described responsibilities:
(1) Relationship Management and Business Development
- Develop and execute on a school sourcing and relationship tracking strategy to identify and work with high-quality charter schools.
- Partner with schools to understand their financial resources, project objectives, sustainability plans, and growth strategies in order to guide schools through a complex site selection and commitment process.
- Manage client relationships and engage with school leadership at the staff and board levels to drive Civic Builders and prospective clients to a development deal.
(2) Deal Negotiation and Execution
- Develop and execute innovative site-sourcing strategies, including managing commercial real estate brokers, forging partnerships with local real estate developers and responding to RFPs, and looking for off-market opportunities
- Conduct preliminary site due diligence including architectural, environmental, and economic feasibility.
- Lead negotiations of equitable deal terms and execute contracts.
- Coordinate and handoff projects to construction team and facilitate periodic touchpoints to monitor project against plan.
(3) Project Management
- Identify and manage pre-development risk.
- Oversee overall management of each project, bringing schools from pipeline relationships through to completed school building operators.
- Facilitate the coordination between various teams and departments working on Civic Builders’ turnkey development projects, including construction, finance, legal and internal approvals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 8+ years of work experience, with a track-record of leading real estate deals in New York City.
- Experience in the non-profit and/or school space is preferred.
- Charter expertise is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Successful experience managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proven track-record of working in a complex and dynamic organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to public policy, public education, and public-sector work.
Please submit your resume for consideration to: David Donaldson via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Civic Builders is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.